Tuesday, June 19, 2007

I'm going to lay down...the book.

There are probably few aspects of the English language that cause more confusion than using lay, lie, and associated variations. Let's start off by discussing a necessary foundation.

It's important to know what a transitive verb is if you want to master laying and lying. A transitive verb functions in concert with an object. For example, "I hit the ball." Ball receives the action of the verb hit. On the other hand, an intransitive verb acts alone. For example, "I sleep."

There are four pertinent angles relating to these verbal contortions.

  1. Transitive
  2. Intransitive
  3. Present tense
  4. Past tense

Let's look at present tense examples, first. "I'm tired, so I'm going to go lie down." This is intransitive. The verb lie doesn't work with an object. It's used alone. The common error is to say "I'm going to lay down." The problem is that we need a present tense, intransitive verb here, as there is no object being acted upon. Lie is what we want. This is probably the single biggest problem. People tend to say "I'm going to lay down" or "Fido! Lay down!" You hear this every day.

Next, the present transitive. "Please lay the book on the table." Remember, the transitive verb goes along with an object which is acted upon. In this case, we are doing something to the book. We are laying it on the table.

So far we have:

  • Present intransitive: lie
  • Present transitive: lay

Now, let's move on to the past tense—first, the intransitive. "Last night, I lay down at around ten o'clock." Yes, this is a little bit confusing. Not only is lay present transitive, it's also past intransitive.

Finally, let's see an example of past transitive. "When I was ordered to do so, I immediately laid the gun down." This happened in the past and it's a verb that acts on an object. I did something to the gun. I laid it down.

For past tenst, we have:

  • Past intransitive: lay
  • Past transitive: laid

So, in summary, here are our options:

  • Present intransitive: lie
  • Present transitive: lay
  • Past intransitive: lay
  • Past transitive: laid

The keys to mastering laying and lying are twofold. First, understand transitive and intransitive verbs. Second, memorize which verbs to use in the four cases.

Just for thoroughness, let me mention not being truthful, or rather, to lie. This is altogether different. "Don't lie to me, boy!" or, "If you don't quit lying, I'm gonna beat you to a pulp!" I don't think most folks have problems with this usage (maybe my examples, though), but I just thought I'd mention it.

Oh, and I almost forgot about present progressive. No big deal. "I am lying down" or, "He is laying the book down." These are easy, once you've mastered the main four.

2 comments:

darren said...

Nice explanation. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Excellent. I'm never certain on this rule ...what seems to sound right isn't always.