Tuesday, April 2, 2013

If only you had went to English class!

While posting the last entry, this popped into my head. I hear this so much, it makes my head spin. I hear supposedly-intelligent people say this all the time! Did you grow up in the sticks? So deep in the sticks that there was no school for you to attend?

  • I should have went...
  • They could have went...
  • We might have went...
Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Went" is past tense.
  • I went to bed at 10 last night.
  • We went to the movies last weekend.
  • They went to Europe on vacation.
The grammar for which you're groping is perfect tense:
  • I should have gone...
  • They could have gone...
  • We might have gone...
Don't sound like an idiot! Use the correct tense! If you grew up speaking English, there's no excuse for this one!

1 comment:

allen said...

Jay: keep on keeping on, but I have a feeling that, like Canute before you, you might get your feet wet.

Can you have a go at the absurd modern habit of starting every bloody sentence with SO?

It came, it'll go, but like 'had went', it ain't half annoying in the meantime!

With respect,

Allen.